Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Snow in Maycomb!




It's snowing in Maycomb. Weather like this doesn't come very often. Scout and I gathered as much snow as we could from Miss Maudie’s yard. Since there was not enough snow to make a real snowman, we built a small figure out of dirt and covered it in snow. It resembled so much like Mr. Avery, an unpleasant man. Atticus demanded we disguise it for the strong resemblance. I placed Miss Maudie’s sunhat on its head and stuck her hedge clippers as hands.

That night, I was waken up by Atticus to go outside. Miss Maudie’s house was on fire! You wouldn't believe how much destruction the fire caused. The neighbours helped her save her furniture, and the fire truck arrives in time to stop the fire from spreading to other houses, but Miss Maudie’s house burns to the ground. In chaos, someone mysteriously draped a blanket over Scout. It must have been Boo Radley!

During Christmas break, Atticus’s brother, Jack, came to stay a week during the holidays. On Christmas Day, Atticus took us and Jack to Finch’s Landing where Atticus’s sister, Alexandra, and her husband live. I'm so happy! I unwrapped my gift and I got an air rifle. We returned back to Maycomb, after Scout fought with Francis and the issue was unable to be resolved.

One day, Scout and I saw a mad dog appear, wandering down the main street towards our house. We rushed to Calpurnia who called Atticus, who returns home with Heck Tate (the sheriff of Maycomb). Heck gives Atticus his rifle to shoot the animal. I was amazed! Atticus killed the dog with one shot. Later, Miss Maudie told us that Atticus was the best shooter in the county and was known as “One-shot Finch.” Scout won't learn to shut up, she was about to brag about our father's talent, however if Atticus wanted us to know, he would have told us himself.


Mrs. Dubose, some old lady always shouts at me whenever I pass by. Atticus warned me to be polite and a gentleman to her, because she is old and sick. One day, she insulted Atticus that something had to be done. She said that Atticus is not any better than the “niggers and trash he works for.” I lost my temper took a bat destroyed all of Mrs. Dubose’s camellia bushes. Sorry I don't normally lose my temper like this, but it was well deserved. As always, my poor actions led to a punishment: I had to go to her house every day for a month and read to her. Mrs. Dubose dies after my punishment ends. R.I.P Mrs. Dubose.

No comments:

Post a Comment