Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Scout protects Atticus from lynch mob



It's been a while since I've posted. Anyways, I'm 12 years old now.

Calpurnia decided she would take Scout and I to her church, since Atticus is busy with the Tom Robinson trial. That awkward situation when I'm the only white person in that church. I was greeted nicely by Reverend Sykes and felt welcomed. After returning home, aunt Alexandra was there.

Aunt Alexandra explains that she should stay with the children for a while, to give them a “feminine influence.” She tried to convince Atticus to get rid of Calpurnia. Atticus refused, being the best father that knows what is best for us. Scout was getting furious at aunt Alexandra, and I told her not to antagonize her. She then proceeded to hit me for no reason. I guess that's what I get for trying to help. Moving along with my story, she called me over after to show me something under her bed. It was Dill! He explained that he ran away from home because his mother and new father did not pay enough attention to him. I ran to get Atticus, who got him food.

A group of men led by the sheriff, Heck Tate, came to our house in the evening. Tom Robinson is moved to the Maycomb jail, and concerns about the possible lynch mob. Atticus takes the car into town. I was accompanied by Scout and Dill, as we sneaked out of the house and followed Atticus to the town center. We saw Atticus sitting in front of the Maycomb jail, reading a newspaper. Then, four cars parked near the jail. A group of men got out, one of them being Mr Cunningham. Atticus refusesd moving away from the lynching mob, and Scout suddenly comes racing out. Dill and I followed her, but Atticus ordered us to go home. The men threatened Atticus, however Scout was able to make them sympathetic and leave.

The next day, the trial began. Scout, Dill and I waited for most of the crowd to enter the courthouse, so that we slipped unnoticeable which prevented Atticus from spotting us. We were able to get seats on the balcony where only black people were required to sit to watch the trial, sitting next to Reverend Sykes.

No comments:

Post a Comment